George Gilbert Scott
|Great Buildings||Search Advanced Buildings Architects Types Places 3D Models Pix|
(b. Gawcott, England 1811; d. London, England 1878)
George Scott was born in Gawcott, England in 1811. Articled to James Edmeston from 1827 to 1831, he formed a partnership with W. B. Moffat that lasted from 1834 to 1845.
Dedicated to the historic preservation of medieval buildings, Scott helped restore many churches throughout Europe. Because Scott displayed unusual thoroughness in his restorations and because he used conjecture to make many of the restorations, he often worked in opposition to many preservationists of his day.
Scott designed most of his buildings in a Gothic manner that conflicted with contemporary ideas on appropriate architecture. He felt that Gothic design suited most modern building types and materials. A proponent of the Ecclesiological principles of church design, he developed the ability to blend elements from disparate architectural sources.
Scott won a Royal Gold Medal in 1859 and was knighted in 1872. He died in London, England in 1878.
|Resources||Sources on George Gilbert Scott|
Search the architecture for more references on George Gilbert Scott
|Web Resources||Links on George Gilbert Scott|
Find, add, and edit info at the all-buildings collaboration
We appreciate your suggestions for links about George Gilbert Scott.
|Great Buildings||Search | Model Viewing Tips | | | | | Books | ||
Send this to a friend Contribute Link Credits Photo Licensing Suggestions
Special thanks to our including
© 1994-2013 All Rights Reserved.